Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Goat Cheese and Roasted Corn Quesadillas

I love checking out the recipes in food magazines because everything looks so delicious. However, I do not get around to actually making too many of the recipes in them. Before I went to the grocery store to pick up items for this week, I remembered bookmarking a recipe, Goat Cheese and Roasted Corn Quesadillas, in this month's issue of Cooking Light. I received this magazine as a gift subscription from my Aunt for graduation last May. I have only made one other recipe from it, but have found many that I would love to get around to try.

I was drawn to this recipe for several reasons. One, I love Mexican food and two, it involved cheese! What's not to like?! I also liked the fact that it had only a few ingredients, which kept it simple. This particular recipe is located in a section called just that: Keeping it Simple. The tag line states: Take five ingredients, make fabulous food - it's that easy! (p. 112). Now who can resist the idea of a recipe that claims to be easy, uses only a few ingredients, and you end up with a fabulous meal?

Goat Cheese and Roasted Corn Quesadillas
from
Cooking Light, March 2009
Serves: 4 (4 wedges per serving)

Ingredients
  • 1 cup fresh corn kernels
  • 2/3 cup (5 ounces) goat cheese, softened
  • 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onions (about 1 green onion)
  • 10 tablespoon bottled salsa verde, divided
  • Cooking spray
Preparation

  1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn; sauté 2 minutes or until browned. Place corn in a small bowl. Add goat cheese to corn; stir until well blended. Divide corn mixture evenly among 4 tortillas; spread to within 1/4 inch of sides. Sprinkle each tortilla with 1 tablespoon green onions. Drizzle each with 1 1/2 teaspoons salsa; top with remaining 4 tortillas.

  2. Heat pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Place 2 quesadillas in pan; cook 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden. Remove from pan; keep warm. Wipe pan clean with paper towels; recoat with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining quesadillas. Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges. Serve with remaining 8 tablespoons salsa.

My experience with the recipe:
This recipe was extremely easy. Instead of fresh corn, I just used a small can of white shoepeg corn. For some reason, Green Giant has included Dora the Explorer and friends on some of their labels. I had to do a double take to confirm I was picking up the right can. I have made the mistake before of seeing something on the shelf, thinking it is what I am looking for, and later discovering that it is not what I wanted.

Also, to my luck the store was having a sale on goat cheese, almost half off! If you enjoy cheese like I do, you know it can be very expensive...especially the good quality types. Over the last few years, I have dishearteningly watched the prices of cheese rise and as a result, limit what I buy. Unless of course, it is on sale!

These quesadillas did not take long to assemble. Once the corn was roasted in the skillet, it was a matter of mixing, spreading, and topping the tortilla with the corn/cheese mixture, chopped green onions, and salsa. I unknowingly only had 7 tortillas left in the pantry, so one of my quesadillas was just folded over instead of having a second tortilla placed on top. I had some issues during the cooking time. I kept burning the tortillas and I'm sure it was probably because my skillet was too hot.

Overall these were a great change from the normal cheese quesadillas and I will be adding this recipe to my list of "Awesome, will make again" recipes!


Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Chennaimoms is a website for mothers, which provides best online health resources about natural home remedies ( beauty, cold & cough, weight loss, diet for a healthy pregnancy etc., )for kids and women.

    Wish you good health, each day, each moment and always!

    ReplyDelete